The Student Health Care Center kicked off its 2010 Influenza Campaign with free flu vaccinations Monday for UF students at the Reitz Union.

Kelly Mitchell, registered nurse and coordinator of the campaign, said the center ordered 10,000 doses of the vaccine this year, twice as many as last year. In 2009, all 5,000 doses were used and Mitchell hopes students, faculty and staff will once again take advantage of the services.

“In the past we have had shortage issues and delayed shipping problems,” she said. “Rarely does everything go exactly as planned. But so far so good for now, although it’s only the first day.”

John Hinchee, a fifth-year environmental science student, was one of the many students who received the shot Monday.

No stranger to the illness, Hinchee contracted the H1N1 virus, or swine flu, last year while studying abroad in Australia.

“The fourteen-hour plane ride home from Australia was rough,” he said. “I’d much rather have the flu shot this year than have to deal with that nonsense again.”

The vaccines are free to students but are available to employees for $25. Outreach clinics accept cash or check only.