Students peruse green groups, get goodies at fair

Students got a chance Thursday to learn about becoming green Gators.

Gators Going Green, a Student Government-run agency comprised of about 20 organizations focused on promoting sustainability on campus, hosted the Sustainability Fair for the first time.

The fair, held on the Reitz Union Colonnade,  was designed to educate students about conservation and opportunities to get involved on campus.

“One girl came by and asked, ‘I kind of recycle because my friends recycle and it looks good, but I don’t really understand why,’” said Heather Green, secretary for Gators for a Sustainable Campus. “That’s what we explain.”

Ten tables were set up throughout the day representing student organizations such as RecycleMania and the UF Office of Sustainability. Students who visited at least two tables received reusable bags filled with SG giveaways, like sunglasses and buttons.

Bailey Kilbourne, executive director of Gators Going Green, said the organization plans on hosting another fair in the spring.

“We can all come together in one location and spread the word about sustainability, work as a team and get more people involved,” she said.