NEWS  |  SFC

1,000 honor veterans at Santa Fe’s Liberty Fest

For Master Sgt. Jim Yakubsin, coming home from the Vietnam War wasn’t easy.

“Vietnam was televised, and many people looked at us weird when we got back because of the images they saw on TV,” he said.

But on Sunday at the first-annual All American Liberty Fest, Yakubsin felt like his service was appreciated.

“The Vietnam guys made me feel what I did was right,” he said.

About 1,000 people came together at Santa Fe College to honor veterans, ranging from WWII to Iraq, at the festival.

The event was sponsored by Santa Fe’s Collegiate Veterans Society and replaced the Bikers on Parade event that had been held for the past nine years.

All of the proceeds raised would benefit the Gainesville Fisher House Foundation, according to Patti Fabiani, executive director of the foundation.

The foundation is raising money to build a  house on the grounds of the veterans hospital to serve veterans and their families while they are being treated for surgery and serious illness, Fabiani said. Construction is expected to begin in the fall of 2011.

“Being that it’s our first year, I’m not sure how much we will raise, but having young kids learning more about what our veterans do for our country is really important,” Sandra Torres-Pintos, an event coordinator, said.

There were 18 veteran organizations, ranging from the Iwo Trio to the Korean War Veteran Association. Each of these organizations had representatives that spoke about their experiences in combat or how they support the veteran community in Alachua County.

Warrant Officer Clif J. Cormier served in the 3rd marine division in the battle of Iwo Jima in 1945. Cormier, who is 90 years old, said the event was special to him because it helps keep the memories alive.

“I get to share my experience of 65 years ago to anyone that asks,” he said.

Cormier, along with his two friends who served in the 4th and 5th marine divisions, founded Iwo Trio so people can learn and discuss the Battle of Iwo Jima and other major battles of WWII.

Jackson Sasser, president of SFC,  said that the liberty festival was one of the most important events the college has ever been involved with.

“It’s events like these that are the real treasures of our community,” he said.

Joe Galloway, co-author of “We Were Soldiers Once…And Young,” which was made into a film starring Mel Gibson in 2002, was a guest speaker. 

During his speech, he expressed his gratitude toward veterans and spoke about his experience as a reporter in the Vietnam War.

“I’m here to say thank you, a simple thank you to the men and women who let nightmares erupt their sleep,” Galloway said.  “I owe you my life, some of you literally.  I can never pay for that, but I can try.”

After Galloway’s speech, Sasser dedicated The Liberty Oak, a memorial on SFC’s campus, to all the veterans in attendance at the festival. He also recognized several veterans, including some who earned the Purple Heart for their acts of service.

Sasser said the festival will be an annual event and that the outcome for its first year was inspiring.

“I don’t want to know anyone who doesn’t respect the warrior,” Sasser said.  “These are the people I respect — those who fight and sacrifice their lives for our country.”