Some day, you just might thank the ’Noles for that spanking they laid on your Gators last weekend.

OK, probably not, but getting smoked at Doak was just what Florida needed.

That ugly 31-7 loss to FSU left the message loud and clear that UF has to make changes.

This was an awful season with few redeeming qualities, and Urban Meyer repeatedly addressed the need to rebuild the program in his postgame press conference.

If the Gators had beaten a mediocre Seminoles team instead, that discussion never happens, and reality doesn’t set in.

There’s paranoia among UF fans that they can see what’s wrong with their team but it may not be fixed. If you’re one of those people, this game was your chill pill.

Florida State offered Florida the same opportunity that South Carolina did a few weeks ago — win this game, and a terrible season doesn’t look quite as terrible.

By losing both, the Gators didn’t leave much room for analysis. There’s no sugarcoating what went down in 2010. They were pretty crappy.Injuries and a lack of playmakers offer up some excuses, but this 7-5 campaign was bad enough that UF can’t try the same formula next year.

Meyer has to take a long, hard look at Steve Addazio and decide whether he’s really the man for the job of running Florida’s offense. He has to think about his quarterback situation and whether John Brantley can lead a championship team.

He’ll have to evaluate everything from his offensive scheme to the way he recruits to his new assistant coaches.

And that’s exactly what you want.

Meyer’s track record proves he knows what he’s doing, and this situation isn’t going to sit well with him.

Inside, he has to be seething. Hell, losing to Alabama last year almost killed him. Getting slapped around by the Tide, two former assistants, Steve Spurrier and the Team Out West must make his skin crawl.

It really sunk in after the FSU game, when a reporter mentioned that the Gators have lost five of their last eight and a wide-eyed Meyer turned to his media relations director and said, “Five out of the last eight? Wow.”

If he was more emotional, I would have expected a “You’ll never see a coach rebuild a program harder than I will” speech.And think about what he would have said if Florida won its seventh straight against Florida State.

Probably something like: “I’m really proud of our team. They stuck together, followed the plan to win and just beat a good football team — I mean a really good football team with some great athletes in an unbelievable environment. Johnny played his heart out just like he has all year. Can’t ask for anything more from him. And coach Addazio had that offense really clicking, as usual.”

I’ve seen enough Meyer press conferences to know that wouldn’t be far off the mark.

Think about those words and what they would mean for next season. Then think about how you felt watching what was essentially a meaningless loss in Tallahassee.

Which ending would you choose?

If I were you, I’d pick the one that ends with the Gators getting better because they got an ice-cold wake-up call.