Veggie-palooza promotes learning, healthy eating

Bands rocked for charity to help students increase their FCAT scores and decrease their chances of suffering from obesity.

Wednesday night’s Veggie-palooza! event at Lillian’s Music Store, 112 SE First St., was held by the School Health Interdisciplinary Program to raise money for students at local elementary schools.

The bands that performed at the event included Krazee, Janna Pelle and the Half-Steps and singers Anna Marie and Jessica Jones.

Rawlings, Myra Terwilliger, Lake Forest and

Idylwild elementary schools are considered to be located in high-crime areas.

About five students from the group’s 25 volunteers go to each of these schools once a week to reinforce concepts students learned in class through fun and engaging, hands-on experiments.

They hoped to raise $500 and expected about 70 people to attend, according to Lyndsey van der Laan, student coordinator for the group.

“Our motivation is to further their education into college because most of these kids don’t come from a background where their parents went to college,” van der Laan said. “It’s to instill hope in these children for their future.”

Money raised from Veggie-palooza! will be used to buy more supplies for experiments the volunteers plan for the students.

Lessons have ranged from a variety of topics, including anatomy, statistics, different types of energy and chemical reactions.

“It’s just a way for them to understand and remember the concepts when the FCAT comes because they did something with it that was fun,” van der Laan said.