The UF Police Department’s national accreditation is being re-evaluated, and students, faculty and citizens had the chance to put in their two cents Monday afternoon.

A public forum was held at the UPD administration building on Museum Road to allow the community the chance to praise, criticize or suggest changes to the department. Out of 13 speakers, only one was a student.

The department is re-evaluated every three years.

Speakers from the Counseling and Wellness Center, the University Athletic Association and the Department of Parking and Transportation talked about UPD’s professionalism, willingness to cooperate with groups across campus and commitment to protecting the Student Body.

David Schneider, a third-year political science and history major, and Dianne Tornay, a resident of the city, were the only participants to advise against the re-accreditation. They cited a lack of trust between students and police following the near-fatal shooting of graduate student Kofi Adu-Brempong last March and suggested a citizen-run review board to help redesign critical response procedures.

Capt. Fred Miller, of the Prince William County Police Department in Virginia, heading the process, said the re-evaluation will last until at least March. Until then, students, faculty or citizens may send letters to be added to the report.

Interested parties should write to the Commission Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies at 13575 Heathcote Blvd., Suite 320, Gainesville, Va., 20155.