In the end, it just was not meant to be.

The Florida volleyball team was knocked out of the NCAA Tournament, ending a season that looked as promising as ever.

The No. 1 Gators (29-2, 20-0 Southeastern Conference) were defeated by 16th-seeded Purdue in straight sets 3-0 (26-28, 15-25, 19-25) Friday in Austin, Texas.

“I thought the difference in the match was Purdue’s defense,” coach Mary Wise said. “It was really unfortunate that we weren’t able to put away set one. It was a major deflation and we never really rebounded, but Purdue never gave us a chance, either.”

The Gators hit only .122 as a team as the Boilermakers hit .327 — the highest hitting percentage against Florida this season. 

“The tough thing is, that for all this team accomplished and what a great season it was, it just puts a bad taste in our mouths,” Wise said. “At some point we will be able to reflect on what a great season it was.”

Purdue had 20 more kills and 24 more digs than Florida. One bright spot for the Gators was their blocking. Florida won the blocking battle eight to seven — the 25th time this season that the Gators have out-blocked their opponent.

Senior outside hitter Callie Rivers ended her Florida career with a team-high nine kills. She also had eight digs and a block.

“This was really frustrating because this is the most fun I’ve ever had playing volleyball with my team,” Rivers said. “It really puts a sour taste in your mouth to end such a great season with great players, great teammates and great coaches like this.”

Junior setter Kelly Murphy hit .294 while recording five kills, 16 assists, three service aces, four digs and two blocks.