The No. 9 men’s tennis team may just move up the rankings after defeating No. 7 Baylor 5-2 on Sunday.

Playing at home, the Gators battled the Bears throughout the day, winning six close matches.

“It was no surprise,” coach Andy Jackson said. “We felt like we could win against them, but we also felt like we could lose against them. Right now, it looks like we’re ahead a little bit.”

In doubles action, the Gators’ No. 11 pair of Alexandre Lacroix and Nassim Slilam earned a victory against the Bears’ No. 4 team of Roberto Maytin and John Peers.

Lacroix and Slilam’s experience playing together paid off as their win gave the team a lot of momentum, Jackson said.

The Gators earned their first point of the day after Sekou Bangoura Jr. and Andrew Butz defeated Sergio Ramirez and Jordan Rux (9-7).

“Sekou was just fantastic,” Jackson said. “He showed why he is one of the best doubles players in the country.”

Butz’s strong play continued in singles action, where his win against Julian Bley gave the Gators the decisive fifth point.

Only a freshman, Butz entered the fall under the radar, but he has the potential to be a key player now and in the future, Jackson said.

The Gators’ other singles wins came when Slilam defeated Maytin (7-6(2), 6-2) and No. 52 Bob van Overbeek defeated Ramirez (4-6, 6-4, 6-1).

Lacroix also earned a two-set win on the day as he defeated Rux (7-6(7), 6-1).