The running support of UF students for the people of Haiti warmed up a particularly cold morning Saturday.

Gators United for Haiti honored the victims of last year’s earthquake with a 5K run/walk. More than 300 runners crossed the finish line at the Commuter Lot on Gale Lemerand Drive to raise about $6,000 for the cause.

The “Chomp the Quake” 5K run/walk was the result of a semester-long coordinated effort of about 15 student organizations that compose Gators United for Haiti.

Sky Georges, president of Gators United for Haiti, said the organization was established shortly after the disaster that occurred on Jan. 12, 2010, as a front to raise money for the victims of the earthquake.

Hayley Paradise, a runner that participated in the 5K with her sorority, said a $20 registration fee goes a long way.

“As much as we think that our donations are small, every little bit helps,” she said.

The proceeds will go toward Partners in Health, a public health care organization cooperating with the Red Cross to support the devastated nation.

Their projects include rebuilding and enhancing Mirebalais hospital in Haiti to provide its residents with comprehensive medical attention.

Gators United for Haiti is $3,000 away from the initial donation goal of $50,000 to help Haiti in the renewal process.