UF organization held concert to raise funds for Tanzanian clinic

In an effort to raise support for a medical clinic in Tanzania, the faith-based student organization Hope Global Mission held a concert Friday at the Baptist Collegiate Ministry.

A Night for HOPE featured musicians, speakers and students who had been to the clinic. The performers shared their personal experiences through songs.

Admission was $5 or the donation of a used textbook, which Hope will re-sell online.

Paul Emery, executive director of U.S. Center for World Mission in Gainesville, spoke from firsthand experience about the struggles children face in Africa.

“These kids are going to be lucky if they get to sixth grade,” he said.

The event raised $440 for Hope.

Kelley Williams, Hopes treasurer, estimates the group will raise between $700 and $800 through its online textbook sales.

Williams said the group has been so successful in its efforts, raising $4,970.80 in the past year, that it now is expanding its partnerships.

“The clinic was telling us we were almost overwhelming them with funds,” Williams said. “They didn’t have enough stuff to spend the money on, so they told us to consider looking into new partnerships.”