By ADAM BERRY

Alligator Staff Writer

aberry@alligator.org

After months of anticipation and plentiful talk about the transition, Will Muschamp oversaw his first practice as Florida’s head coach.

The Gators opened their spring practice season Wednesday afternoon, and Muschamp said it was used mostly to teach players the new offensive and defensive systems, as well as a few special teams tweaks.

“We do believe in the theory of throwing a lot at them and finding out who can learn and who can adjust, how long does that take, who can make adjustments on the run,” Muschamp said. “We’re able to throw a lot at them and see who’s able to retain and handle the information — expose them to as much as we can.”

Muschamp said each of the three quarterbacks on the depth chart — John Brantley, Tyler Murphy and Jeff Driskel — took reps with all three units Wednesday.

All of Florida’s spring practices are closed to the public and the media, but Muschamp said he only had three players sit out Wednesday due to injury.

The Gators had seven players listed as “limited” before practice, but Muschamp said they all were able to take a few reps on the field in the team’s first session.

“When they get close to football and playing, they all get well,” Muschamp said. “It’s amazing how that happens.

“Our trainer rides in on his white horse, and they all of a sudden get well. It’s phenomenal. I wish we could discover that medicine before practice started.”

JENKINS SITTING OUT AFTER SURGERY: Senior cornerback Janoris Jenkins will not participate in the team’s spring season after having reconstructive shoulder surgery in the offseason.

Jenkins, who had 44 tackles and three interceptions last season, surprised many people with his decision to return to the Gators instead of jumping to the NFL.

Muschamp said much of that choice was based on his inability to work out at the NFL Combine or for pro scouts. Jenkins got out of his shoulder sling just two weeks ago.

“There is no contact,” Muschamp said. “He felt like he could help the situation by coming back and getting his shoulder healthy.”

HAMMOND BACK ON SCHOLARSHIP: Muschamp said Frankie Hammond Jr. is once again playing on scholarship for UF after having his revoked last season.

The redshirt junior wide receiver was arrested last summer for driving under the influence but returned to the team following a two-game suspension, albeit without a scholarship.

Hammond, listed as a starting wide receiver on the preseason depth chart, caught 22 passes for 276 yards and two touchdowns in 11 games last year.