Spring break is so close that we can almost feel the sun on our skin and taste the delicious frozen drinks that await us. Well, some of us that is. I will be spending my spring break in the Windy City in freezing weather with my jackets, boots and sunless tanner. But, since most of you will be spending the next week in the Keys, or some other tropical paradise, here are some swimsuit trends you can try to show off your newly toned body you’ve been working so hard on for the last month at the SW Rec. 

The top three trends that stood out to me this season were animal print, lace and ruffles. 

Taking a cue from lingerie, the lace trend is not only popular this season in tops and dresses, but in swimwear, too. Leave it to lingerie queen Victoria’s Secret to have a variety of onepieces, tankinis and of course, bikinis, available in lace. My personal pick for this trend is the black lace with white string bikini. 

The ruffle trend from last year is still going strong. Ruffles are fun, playful and a good way to channel your inner girliness. 

My personal favorite and the most popular swimsuit trend of the season, hands down, is animal print. Whether it’s leopard, python, zebra or cheetah, you are bound to see (or be seen in) this print all over the beach. 

So, whatever swimsuit trend you choose to wear over spring break, remember to wear sunscreen. Because while having a tan may be sexy, looking like a lobster is not.