While the Gators were having trouble getting rest preparing for the Crimson Tide last October, Caleb Sturgis was kept awake for another reason.

“I think (my back injury felt the worst) right before the Alabama week,” Sturgis said. “I just really couldn’t sleep or anything like that. That was the point where I got everything checked out.”

Florida’s kicker went on to miss the final eight games of the season with a herniated disk and a stress fracture that was first aggravated in a weight lifting session before the season. While Sturgis has yet to practice kickoffs this spring, he is slowly making his way back and is already kicking field goals.

However, the injury has had lingering effects. Sturgis has cut down on weight room work and the number of kicks he attempts in practice to limit the strain on his back.

The injury impacted Sturgis even before he was sidelined. He knocked in just two of four field goals in four games before punter Chas Henry filled in for him.

“(Not being able to play) was obviously really rough,” Sturgis said. “I never really in my life had an injury before that kept me out. It was something new for me.”

O-LINE ADJUSTING: Learning the new offense hasn’t just been tough on Florida’s skill players. The offensive line has been asked to make a change from last season, too.

On top of losing Mike Pouncey, Carl Johnson and Marcus Gilbert, the group has had to adjust to the new coaching staff’s scheme this spring. Offensive coordinator Charlie Weis’ system demands that the offensive line carry more responsibility.