In 1925, Floyd Collins was trapped in Kentucky’s Sand Cave, and attempts to rescue the famous cave explorer drew the attention of the nation. It drew so much attention that tourists from across the United States came in herds to witness the event firsthand.

By the time rescuers reached Collins, the explorer was dead from exposure and starvation.

This weekend, UF student-run theater group Florida Players will perform “Floyd Collins,” a musical based on the story.

The group, which is funded by UF’s Student Government, kicked off the production with a Wednesday night performance and will perform at 7 p.m. tonight, Friday and Saturday in the Squitieri Studio Theater at the Phillips Center for the Performing Arts. There will be an additional matinee performance at 2 p.m. Saturday.

“This is one of the largest shows I think we’ve ever tried to put together,” said 22-year-old Derek Butts, the show’s director.

Given the recent death of two UF students, Grant Lockenbach and Michael Pirie, who died in a caving accident in February, some people have questioned the timing of the play’s release, Butts said.

While Butts acknowledges the connection, he said Florida Players does not intend to offend the families of Lockenbach and Pirie.

He said the similarity in the stories is coincidental, as “Floyd” has been a year-long pursuit for Butts and the play’s cast.

In fact, to research Collins’ story, Butts and four cast members took a trip to Kentucky to visit the cave, see Collins’ home and visit his grave.

Collins’ caving accident has become part of the region’s folklore, said Marissa Toogood, who is making her debut with Florida Players in the role of Nellie Collins, Floyd’s sister.

“Everybody knew about Floyd Collins up there,” she said.

Taking the trip allowed the actors to connect with the tragedy of Collins’ death.

Thaddeus Pearson, who will play Floyd’s brother, Homer, said, “It was really awesome to be able to walk around where this legendary man was.”

For more information, visit floridaplayers.org.