Beat the Gainesville blues: five places to hang out on weekends

Summer A is in full swing, and what have you done so far - nursed your hangovers and lain out by the pool? While this seems like all we're doing these days, there are tons of fun things to do in and out of Gainesville that you haven't done every day for the past two weeks.

Here are some fun ideas for whatever you feel like doing with your day.

Playing:

Bob's River Place

All the way out in Dixie County, Bob's River Place is about a 40-minute trip from Gainesville, but it's worth every second. Bob's has floating docks and rope swings galore, ranging from amateur to the fear-inducing "Demon." Admission is $15 a carload for a daily pass, or $55 a carload for an annual pass. Bob's is a fun and relaxing place, but you'll have to come prepared for the day because no food is sold. Bob's Myspace page (myspace.com/dixiecobobsriverplace) has more info.

Chilling:

Ginnie Springs

Ginnie Springs is one of the most popular spots for Gators to cool off. Students can tube down the river, see the seven springs dotted throughout the route, kayak, snorkel and even scuba dive. The best part is that Ginnie is a campground too, so you can bring some friends and stay for the weekend. Admission is $12 for each adult and $20.40 to go camping. You can visit ginniespringsoutdoors.com to get directions and more info.

Grooving:

Free Fridays

From May to October, the Bo Diddley Community Plaza offers Free Fridays every Friday night from 8-10 p.m. Local bands and performing arts groups perform for free, so you can grab your blanket or lawn chair and enjoy some free entertainment! The plaza is on the corner of SE First Street and University Avenue in downtown.

Water Sporting:

Lake Wauburg

A favorite among UF students, Lake Wauberg is free for anyone with a valid Gator 1 Card. It offers water skiing, wakeboarding, sailing, boating, a climbing wall, disc golf, picnicking, sand volleyball and football. The North Park is open from noon to 6 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, and the South Shore is open from 1-6 p.m. Both areas are open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays. To get there, just head south on 13th Street until you see the signs!