Southwest Recreation Center adds new weight room

The Southwest Recreation Center's weight room is undergoing a serious face lift this summer following a $16.3 million expansion completed last fall.

The cost of the renovation will be covered by money left over from the expansion funded by the Capital Improvement Trust Fund.

Out-of-date and worn out equipment will be replaced and dumbbells will be added along with an Olympic-style weight section that will include half racks, bumper weights and chalk.

At least 12 staff members, some from the current pool of about 100 student employees along with some new hires, will be certified to assist lifters in the Olympic-style section.

The renovation should also take care of congestion as students crowd in for Fall-semester workouts.

Part of the numbers problem lies in the floor, said Katie Roberts, a fitness coordinator at Southwest Rec. She said much of the current flooring isn't able to handle heavy weights dropped on it, so most of the free weights are restricted to certain areas.

A new flooring system designed for the abuse of a heavy duty weight room, known as Infinity Floors, will allow weights to be spread out over a larger area, Roberts said.

Two industrial-strength ceiling fans known as Big Ass Fans will be installed to combat the heat and control air flow.

The renovation includes aesthetic touches as well.

For those who use the weight room during peak hours, the dozens of sweaty people mixed with poor circulation can drive the temperature up.

"It gets really hot back here when it's crowded," said Brooke Burkins, a sophomore biology student.

The light fixtures will be replaced with a more energy-efficient model that produces more light per unit. Water-bottle-filling dispensers will be installed, and the stark-white walls will receive a fresh coat of paint along with Gator-themed vinyl graphics.

Burkins said the new look will make her want to work out more.

"A sweet place to work out motivates you," she said.

The weight room will remain open throughout the renovation.