Since the national onslaught of mega-chain coffee stores, Americans have reached their caffeine-hype crest. We now find our tech-savvy, social networking selves wired in more ways than one as we buzz through multi-tasking days. The taste for the bitter roast of coffee beans is one that is usually and conveniently acquired amidst the juggling acts that characterize college years. Fortunately for students, Gainesville is home to a plethora of independent coffee houses that satiate the craving for a swift wake-me-up. Here's our guideline.

Coffee Culture (2020 NW 13th St.)

Located in the shell of a former Dairy Queen, Coffee Culture has been serving Gainesvillians for the past eight years. This July, the café will expand beyond its original location and open a second store in the recently closed Starbucks located in the Plaza Royale shopping center at 3822 Newberry Rd. The original location will also be establishing an in-house bakery, providing customers with a variety of food choices including vegan-friendly options.

Recommended As: A place to study. There are a number of individual tables provided that allow for one to spread out reading and writing materials. Also provided are printing and scanning services, as well as public computers with Internet access.

The 8th Avenue Bike & Coffee House (235 NW Eighth Ave.)

An interesting concept, The 8th Avenue Bike and Coffee Shop is exactly what its name suggests. The coffee counter is small, but provides an adequate beverage and food menu for any coffee connoisseur. Directly across from the café section is a bike service and retail store. Whether one is looking for a new set of wheels or in need of a tune-up, this spot offers friendly, quality assistance for cyclists.

Recommended As: A place to refuel. This is the perfect spot for bikers to grab a bite and caffeine perk while having their spokes checked out before a long ride.

The Bull (18 SW First Ave.)

The newest coffee house addition to Gainesville, The Bull opened its doors this past New Years Eve. Providing refinement but lacking in pretension, this coffee house transitions into a beer and wine bar every night around 9 p.m. Exposed brick and hardwood floors create a fresh, cool atmosphere that simultaneously romances contemporary and vintage aesthetics, while rotating artwork subtly brightens the café's walls.

Recommended As: A date spot. Upon entering The Bull, customers are instantly soothed by the seemingly effortless ambiance established by the interior's high ceilings, flattering light and stoic music.