For the second time in just over a year, Florida safety Matt Elam was cited in downtown Gainesville for underage alcohol possession.

The 19-year-old sophomore was seen late Saturday night by officers in the 100 block of NW First Ave. — one block from a Wells Fargo Bank — holding a 1-liter plastic bottle containing a dark liquid, Gainesville Police spokesperson Tscharna Senn said.

Elam immediately discarded the bottle when he saw the officers.

Gaineville Police later determined the bottle was filled with Hennessy, a cognac, and Coca-Cola.

After being briefly handcuffed by the police, Elam was released and signed a notice stating he would appear at his specified court date.

Florida spokesman Steve McClain could not be reached for comment,  but several other news outlets reported a statement from McClain saying, “Coach [Will] Muschamp is aware of the incident and will deal with it internally.”

Elam’s previous arrest on July 2, 2010, had a similar storyline, as it occurred just two streets down from Sunday’s incident.

Six months after the five-star safety from Dwyer High enrolled at UF, he was busted for possession of Four Loko, a carbonated malt liquor drink, in a bank parking lot on NW First Street.

He pleaded no contest to the charge and paid a $121 fine. As a true freshman last season, Elam went on to appear in all 13  games.

Coming out of the spring, Elam was listed on the post-camp depth chart as a starter at strong safety, replacing departed senior leader Ahmad Black.

Elam’s arrest marks the fifth time this year a Florida player has been cited for either underage drinking or marijuana possession. Cornerback Janoris Jenkins was dismissed after his second arrest for marijuana possession.

Defensive ends Chris Martin and Kedric Johnson were also cited for marijuana.

Martin later transferred following his arrest.