Bostic, Jenkins eager to take reins of young LB corps

Before last season, Jon Bostic could hear doubts creeping through his mind. Where do you see yourself fitting, he thought. Can you really play at the college level?

But the insecure internal monologue subsided rather quickly; all it took was one hit, one crack against Miami (Ohio) in the season opener last September. Bostic started to believe in himself. And, he said, that confidence continuously grew as the season progressed and the hits kept coming.

Still, 2010 was a disappointment, not something Bostic — or anyone else at Florida — wants to repeat ever again.

He and fellow linebacker Jelani Jenkins entered last season with plenty of knowledge about life in the Southeastern Conference and the first-class speed associated with it. Knowledge is one thing; hands-on experience is something completely different.

Worse, though, was the lack of a big brother, an older linebacker who Bostic (then a sophomore) and Jenkins (redshirt freshman) could rely on as they learned the ropes. When Brandon Spikes departed for the pros two seasons ago, he took with him his smash-mouthed, dreadlocked swagger, and no veteran stepped up to fill the void.

In part, Florida’s defensive scheme under former coordinator Teryl Austin is to blame. The team often rotated linebackers depending on the situation: blitz packages, third-and-longs, etc.; and Bostic said the revolving door muffled potential on-field leadership.

“It was kind of all over the place,” he said.

“We tried to do our thing, but with so many combinations coming in and out — from this linebacker position, we’re switching every week — it was kind of confusing. Nobody could really go in there and get the hang of what was going on, and no one could really take over.”

This season, however, Bostic and Jenkins expect to be on the field in all situations, and from day one of training camp they have viewed themselves as the unit’s leaders. The other six linebackers enter the season with a combined zero starts under their belts.

Bostic said he and Jenkins will be the ones talking on defense, making pre-snap checks and adjusting the line and secondary as they see fit. That means they need to understand every facet of the defense brought in by new coordinator Dan Quinn and coach Will Muschamp.

But regardless of the scheme, Bostic, Jenkins and whoever wins the other linebacker spot (SEE GRAPHIC BELOW) will need to fill gaps better than the Gators did last year. Florida ranked fifth in the SEC in rush defense, and there were plenty of poor results: 161 yards rushing by LSU, 212 by Mississippi State, 239 by South Carolina in a 36-14 blowout to decide the SEC East.   

“We took it personal,” Jenkins said. “One of the main things we’re going to focus on is stopping the run. When you stop the run, you leave teams one dimensional.”

Florida’s defense, meanwhile, looks to be anything but vanilla; Muschamp has stressed altering defensive fronts since last December, meaning Bostic and Jenkins will need to be diverse. And vocal.

This season, Bostic wants everyone on defense to hear what thoughts are running through his mind.

THE OTHER GUYS

Who will start alongside Bostic, Jenkins?

Gideon Ajagbe: R-Fr., 6-foot-2, 230 lbs.

Three-star prospect from Coconut Grove Ransom Everglades High who sat out last season after suffering a torn rotator cuff in training camp.

Dee Finley: So., 6-foot-2, 220 pounds

Has played in 14 games in two years but missed final seven games last year after fracturing his collarbone against LSU.

Darrin Kitchens: So., 6-foot-2, 230 pounds

Part of the kickoff team in all but three games last season; recorded just two tackles (both assists).

Michael Taylor: R-Fr., 6-foot, 220 pounds

A four-star prospect from Atlanta Westlake High, rated the nation’s No. 3 inside linebacker.

Graham Stewart: Fr., 6-foot-1, 254 pounds

A four-star prospect from Middletown (Conn.) High, the top 2011 prospect in Connecticut.

* Rankings according to Rivals.com