<p>Florida coach Will Muschamp said several starters may lose their jobs after he cut Wednesday’s scrimmage short because players were not focused.</p>

Florida coach Will Muschamp said several starters may lose their jobs after he cut Wednesday’s scrimmage short because players were not focused.

Coach Will Muschamp ended practice about 30 minutes early Wednesday night, but it was far from a reward.

Frustrated with his players’ inability to remember assignments, Muschamp said the coaching staff would be evaluating film late into the night and that some starters could be losing their jobs.

“There ain’t no doubt,” Muschamp said. “We’ll figure it out tonight and we’ll look at the tape. We’re gonna get the guys who compete and want to play hard.”

Florida did situational work Wednesday, meaning players were told to pretend they were in specific scenarios like third downs or plays inside the red zone. Muschamp said most of the players did pretty well remembering their assignments, but clearly the problems of a few made the biggest impact on practice.

“It’s just a lack of focus on what you’re supposed to do and how you’re supposed to do it,” he said. “We’re in (a two-minute drill); we have guys walking around. We have no sense of urgency about what we do and how we do it and how we approach it. Very frustrating.”

Muschamp didn’t say Wednesday’s practice was a step back but added, “It dang sure wasn’t a step forward.”

This comes just four days after the Gators broke training camp. Following two weeks of staying together in a hotel and focusing on football all day, Florida players have returned to the typical day-to-day routine of mixing practice with classes.

Muschamp doesn’t think the new schedule affected practice.

“If you’re a competitor and you want to line up in that stadium and play hard and play fast and play physical, you do it regardless of the situation, regardless of the opponent,” he said. “It doesn’t matter; you just line up and play.”

Injuries: Wide receiver Omarius Hines missed practice with a hamstring injury. Muschamp said he is questionable for Florida’s home opener against Florida Atlantic on Sept. 3.

Hines’ injury is especially costly considering he has also been working at tight end, where Florida is already thin behind starter Jordan Reed. On the first day of practice Aug. 6, freshman A.C. Leonard suffered a torn meniscus, which is expected to keep him out until mid-September.

Cornerback Jeremy Brown (sprained right knee) sat out practice again Wednesday. Brown has been out for two weeks, though Muschamp reiterated that he expects the junior to be back in the lineup by the season opener.

Easley impressing: Defensive tackle Dominique Easley was one of the few players Muschamp praised after practice. Easley has been popular lately among teammates, who have singled him out as the best defensive lineman at camp. 

“He’s just relentless,” right guard Jon Halapio said. “Since he’s been here, I’ve never seen him tired, on or off the field. He doesn’t show it. … He’s really explosive off the ball. I don’t know if he knows the snap count. He’s just really quick off the ball. I can’t even get out of my stance. By the times I get out of my stance, he’s already in my pads.”

Contact Tyler Jett at tjett@alligator.org.