Everyone knows the best part about starting college is not having a bedtime. And sure, sometimes you stay up late to study, but not that often. When you're not going out or partying, watching TV is one of the greatest college pastimes.

In general terms, FX probably has the best comedy shows out of any network. "Louie," "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia," "The League" and "Archer" are easily some of the best comedies on TV right now. NBC might be more your taste with "The Office," "30 Rock," "Parks and Recreation" and "Community." But with "The Office" dwindling to its end and "30 Rock" on hiatus until spring, I think FX boasts the strongest lineup.

For dramas, if you're not content with the standard networks' cut-and-paste shows, I suggest you pick up HBO or Showtime. Otherwise the best option for quality TV is AMC with "The Walking Dead," "Mad Men," "Breaking Bad" and "The Killing."

We've put together a tiny TV guide with a few more details for a few upcoming shows this fall. From popular comedies like "Modern Family" to the dramatic twists of "Dexter," these four shows come highly recommended from us.

"Modern Family"

Wednesdays beginning Sept. 21 on ABC

ABC's breakout comedy, "Modern Family," will start its third season on Sept. 21. A fresh take on the family sitcom, the show utilizes ... well, more of a "modern"-style family.

I love this show. I think it's a breath of fresh air from the standard "Two and a Half Men"/"The Big Bang Theory" sitcom. The "mocumentary" style keeps the entire show - regardless of how wacky it gets - grounded in reality. Usually sitcoms have that one character you don't care much for, but I don't see that in "Modern Family."

Each character is varied, crazy and loveable enough to grab your attention without going stale. Even brainiac, good-girl Alex Dunphy has her moments. Ty Burrell really steals the show as the goofy father, Phil Dunphy.

I think this show hits all of the sitcom marks: It's funny, exciting and relatable without ever trying too hard. "Modern Family" is widely regarded as one of the best comedies on the air, and you're missing out if you aren't watching already. Also, you're missing out on two of the hottest moms on TV.

"It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia"

Thursdays beginning Sept. 15 on FX

The gang is back with its seventh season starting on Sept. 15. Six long, awkward years have passed since we first met the "It's Always Sunny" gang in Paddy's Pub back in 2005. Since then, the show and its fans have been building memories. Frank set Sweet Dee on fire, we learned the D.E.N.N.I.S. system and Charlie put on the widely popular "The Nightman Cometh" musical.

Frankly, I can't get enough "Sunny." Granted, the aggressive dialogue and repulsive personalities might be too much for some people, but I think it's what makes the show stand out. The chemistry between the gang doesn't feel forced or scripted, and that's because it's not. In an interview, creators Charlie Day, Glenn Howerton and Rob McElhenney mentioned they often don't write out entire scripts, but "guidelines." The actors usually go about the scenes improvising most of the lines.

In its last three seasons, I think "Sunny" has taken as slight downhill turn. In the early episodes, the show was still experimenting and trying to find what made it unique and funny. They've obviously found what works, and as a result it got a little too predictable and bland. I say this timidly, because "Sunny" still shows strong most of the time.

"The Waitress Is Getting Married" episode from Season 5 is easily the best episode in the Sunny catalog. Specifically, the scene where Mac and Dennis try to set up Charlie's online dating profile is one that encompasses everything great about "Sunny."

"Dexter"

Sundays beginning Oct. 2 on Showtime

Dexter returns for his sixth season on Showtime on Oct. 2. Everyone's favorite bloodstain pattern analyst by day, serial killer by night will surely draw huge viewing numbers upon return.

I have a love-hate relationship this show. Seasons 1 and 2 were fantastic, featuring strong, exciting, nail-biting drama that you'd expect from a premium channel like Showtime. Season 3, on the other hand, was a huge drag.

I thought the storyline was poorly done and the new characters were insanely boring. They didn't present Miguel Prado in a way where you really cared about him, and his personality was dull and uninspired. Season 4 helped the show bounce back and ended up being my favorite season so far. The interrelation between Dexter and the Trinity Killer was thrilling.

Season 5 tanked worse than Season 3, though. Lumen and Jordan Chase were forgettable and it was frustrating to watch Dexter ignore Rita's death. I hope the new season can rectify the franchise, as Dexter's character has so much depth (or lack thereof) that the writers seem to be ignoring. "Dexter," unfortunately, might turn into another uninteresting action cop-drama unless Season 6 can will the series back into relevancy.

"The Walking Dead"

Sundays beginning Oct. 16 AMC

One of my favorite new series of 2010 was AMC's "The Walking Dead." With Zombies being all the rage the past few years, AMC took one of the most popular graphic novels and turned it into a gritty, exciting TV series. I've never read the graphic novels (although now I'm tempted), but nerd sources close to me say the series stays close enough to the novels to keep fans happy.

"The Walking Dead" feels more like a six-hour movie than it does a TV show. The production, acting and special effects are all done quite well. I actually got a "Lost" vibe from the show during the first season - an assorted group of strangers stranded in the wilderness band together to survive. If Season 2 is anything like Season 1, it will be worth catching.