In 1974, Rolling Stone magazine's Jon Landau reviewed an up-and-coming musician's gig for Boston's the Real Paper. The emerging songster was Bruce Springsteen of who Landau penned, "I saw rock 'n' roll's future, and its name is Bruce Springsteen."

Landau's quote packs weight, and more than 35 years later, it's time to dust it off.

Brian Fallon is best known as the front man of modern rock ‘n' roll pioneers, The Gaslight Anthem. His latest project, an endeavor with friend and guitarist Ian Perkins, goes by the name of The Horrible Crowes. Dubbed by Fallon as his "nighttime music" project, The Horrible Crowes' debut full-length, "Elsie," is a stark contrast to Gaslight's revved-up style.

Creating a darker, moodier setting and making even better use of his phenomenal vocal abilities, Fallon has crafted what is undoubtedly the most fantastic record of 2011 thus far. His soul is unparalleled in today's watered-down industry - exemplified best on songs like the emotional, crescendo-ing "Go Tell Everybody" and the wild "Mary Ann."

"Elsie" is a slow number that precedes the most Gaslight-esque song on the record and first single, "Behold the Hurricane." The album's standout comes in "Black Betty & the Moon," as Fallon's lyricism and storytelling reach new heights, complementing the rock-solid musicianship from he and Perkins.

"Elsie" will not go down as Brian Fallon's best album. It'll be topped by future Gaslight Anthem releases. But what "Elsie" shows us, above anything else, is that Brian Fallon is one of the best songwriters on the planet.

Unmatched poetry and subtle yet awe-inspiring musicianship characterize every corner of "Elsie," giving the record a personality and swagger that we haven't seen from a release this year.

While it might be a weighty stance to throw around in the first column of the semester, I'm just going to say it. I'm going all in with Brian Fallon. He has my vote for life. I will listen to whatever music he writes. Fallon is the best chance that rock ‘n' roll has to remain relevant on a notable scale.

I have heard rock 'n' roll's future. Its name is Brian Fallon.