UF's newest graduates may have more to fear this weekend than an unfriendly job market.

Tropical Storm Emily may spin its way through Gainesville on Saturday during UF's summer 2011 commencement ceremony.

Commencement will take place in the Stephen C. O'Connell Center.

"Right now the commencement is on, and there are no plans to change it at this point," UF spokesman Steve Orlando said.

He said in his 15 years at UF, a tropical storm has never interrupted the commencement ceremony.

"We realize that people are traveling long distances," Orlando said. "Some parts of the state where people are traveling from might be affected."

There have been tropical storm warnings issued for the central Bahamas and tropical storm watches issued for the northwestern Bahamas, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, the Turks and Caicos Islands and the Guantanamo and Holguin provinces in eastern Cuba, National Hurricane Center spokesman Dennis Feltgen said.

As of press time, Tropical Storm Emily spins at 50 mph and its winds extend 115 miles outward.