<p>The organizing committee for the London Olympic Games has invited the UF Fightin' Gator Marching Band to play at the 2012 Olympics.</p>

The organizing committee for the London Olympic Games has invited the UF Fightin' Gator Marching Band to play at the 2012 Olympics.

The Pride of the Sunshine may be hitting the streets of dreary London next year.

The Fightin' Gator Marching Band has been invited to play at the 2012 Olympics.

John M. Watkins Jr., director of the marching band, received the invitation by phone Friday from the organizing committee for the London Olympic Games.

In April, the marching band received a letter asking if it would be interested in performing at the Olympics.

The band answered yes and submitted a portfolio that included the band's history, biographies, videotapes and CDs.

"It is a huge honor to be picked to represent the United States at the Olympics in London," said Watkins, who has worked with the band for six years.

It is unknown which, if any, other universities have been chosen. No details have been planned for the trip.

"I think everybody's really excited," Watkins said, "but it's very preliminary at this point."

This isn't the Gator marching band's first international invitation.

Two years ago, Watkins said, the band was invited to perform at a music festival in Venezuela. However, due to safety concerns, the group didn't pursue the opportunity.

The UF Fightin' Gator Marching Band has 330 members and rehearses six to eight hours a week.

Jason Kossis, a computer engineering junior, said traveling with the band to away football games is like traveling with a second family.

Kossis, a trumpet player who has been in the band for two years, said it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to play in the Olympics.

The entire band has been invited to go to London, but the cost of the trip may stop some members from attending, Watkins said.

"I don't think the university could subsidize everyone," Watkins said. "People would have to pay, and that would have an impact."

A written invitation is expected by late September. When that arrives, the band will begin looking to UF and corporate donors to help fund the trip.

Andreas Gregory Christofakis, a political science major, has been in band for three years and said the prospect of performing in London is exciting.

"I think it's very exciting and a rare opportunity for the Gator band to perform on an international stage," he said.