Notebook: Gators’ first-quarter success hinges on designed play calls, Finley to return against UK

<p>Florida offensive coordinator Charlie Weis said he works to orchestrate the Gators’ first few drives of each game. The plan is working thus far, as UF has scored on its first possession in every game this season and holds a 33-0 advantage against opponents in first quarters. Florida outscored opponents 56-48 in the first quarter last year.</p>

Florida offensive coordinator Charlie Weis said he works to orchestrate the Gators’ first few drives of each game. The plan is working thus far, as UF has scored on its first possession in every game this season and holds a 33-0 advantage against opponents in first quarters. Florida outscored opponents 56-48 in the first quarter last year.

Florida’s offense has thrived from the opening act in each game, in part because the players have received simple instructions: follow the script.

Offensive coordinator Charlie Weis has orchestrated the Gators’ initial plays well in advance this year, holding meetings with quarterback John Brantley about 24 hours before kickoffs to go through the team’s first two or three drives. Weis tells Brantley the plays he wants to run, in order, and Brantley lets his coach know if he feels uncomfortable with anything on the script.

“It’s a really good idea,” Brantley said Monday. “It gives you a chance to look at what you’re running to get familiar with it.  … It’s real important going into a game.”

Florida has scored on each of its three opening drives this year, including a nine-play, 80-yard series ending in a touchdown Saturday against Tennessee. In all, the Gators have outscored opponents 33-0 in the first quarter.

Last season, Florida outscored opponents 56-48 in the opening quarter.

Roberson passes test: Facing a productive passing attack for the first time in his college career, freshman cornerback Marcus Roberson helped limit Tennessee to 288 passing yards — about 50 yards shy of the Vols’ season average.

Coach Will Muschamp said Roberson does a good job of jamming receivers at the line and getting between the ball and its intended target. Once the ball is in the air, Roberson attacks it.

He jumped a slant route in the third quarter Saturday for what looked to be his first career interception, but the play was called back as Roberson was charged with a questionable pass interference.

“He works hard at practice,” Muschamp said. “He has good retention — day in, day out — for what we do and how we do it. I’ve been very pleased with his progress.”

While the Gators defensive backs received praise for keeping the Vols’ hyped air attack in check, Muschamp said his team needs to intercept more passes. Florida dropped at least four potential picks Saturday.

“It’s nice to be there, but you got to finish the play,” Muschamp said.

“You don’t get your name in the paper for dropping one.”

Roberson dropped one. So did Matt Elam. Jelani Jenkins dropped two.

Injuries: Junior cornerback Jeremy Brown will be out “a couple more weeks” with a knee injury, Muschamp said. Brown suffered a sprained knee the first week of training camp, and Muschamp initially thought the defensive back would be ready for the season opener.

“The knee has just not responded coming off the injury,” Muschamp said Monday. “There is no surgery required — very frustrated for Jeremy. He is a great young man. I hurt for him.”

Tight end Jordan Reed (hamstring) is questionable for Saturday’s game against Kentucky. Reed did not dress out against Tennessee, and sophomore Gerald Christian took his place.

Freshman offensive lineman Trip Thurman underwent shoulder surgery Monday morning and will miss the rest of the season.

Finley back: Linebacker Dee Finley will travel with the team after serving a team-imposed one-game suspension Saturday. Finley was arrested Sept. 12 for driving with a suspended license and resisting arrest.

Contact Tyler Jett at tjett@alligator.org.