Quick tips to staying green on game day

Gator fans have been forced to make tailgating choices for years: which brand of hot dogs to buy, which flavor of potato chips to buy, where to park their cars, so on and so forth. However, choosing how to be green on game days no longer has to be an issue. With the help of Ashley Pennington, outreach coordinator for the Office of Sustainability at UF, we've got some quick tips for staying green while cheering on the Gators.

For starters, reduce the amount of waste you produce by using reusable cups instead of plastic ones, she said. While on that path, try using reusable silverware and plates. To make sure that they don't get thrown away, put the plates and cups back in the car before you head to the game.

Another great way is to buy in bulk. Instead of buying individual cans of soda, buy liters. As far as whether glass bottles or aluminum cans are better containers for alcoholic beverages, they're both equal as long as they're being recycled, Pennington said.

Use local and seasonal ingredients to make your favorite tailgate snacks that much more environmentally friendly. Salsa is easy to make and delicious!

Once you're ready to head off to the game, don't forget about all of the recyclables. The Office of Sustainability volunteers provide blue recycling bags to as many tailgaters as possible to ensure that plastic, aluminum and glass containers don't get thrown away. For your convenience, the bags can be left at your tailgate and will be picked up by Green Team volunteers. If you don't receive a bag or bring one of your own, make sure to drop your recyclables in one of the designated bins on the way to the stadium.

Good luck staying green on game day and Go Gators!