Dance showcase celebrates National Hispanic Heritage Month

<p>Black Student Union dance troupe Finesse performed for the second annual Multicultural Dance Night.</p>

Black Student Union dance troupe Finesse performed for the second annual Multicultural Dance Night.

The stereo at the Reitz Union Grand Ballroom blared hip-hop and salsa music Tuesday evening, but the students present were swaying to the same tune.

About 50 students gathered for the second annual Multicultural Dance Night, which was co-sponsored by the Black Student Union and the Hispanic Student Association.

"This night is an opportunity to celebrate the beauty of cultural differences and unite with fellow students," said BSU president Jesselle English, a 21-year-old accounting senior.

Students of all cultures were welcome to attend.

The newly formed BSU dance troupe, Finesse, performed followed by hip-hop instruction by HSA's dance troupe, Sabor Latino, and a step-by-step salsa instruction with Gator Salsa Club.

About 35 students danced to Nicki Minaj's "SuperBass," popping and moving their bodies to the beat.

Next, about 25 students formed a circle and swayed their hips to casino-style salsa dancing, changing partners every three minutes.

"It's fun going beyond what you're familiar with," said accounting student and Vice President of Gator Salsa Kathleen Juezan, 21. "It's a refreshing experience."

The event was held in honor of National Hispanic Heritage Month, which began Sept. 15 and runs every day until Oct. 15.

Each event is co-sponsored by a different organization, including the Filipino Student Association and the Pride Student Union.

Hispanic Heritage Month Executive Director Jacquelyn Fuentes, 21, said anyone, regardless of heritage, can participate and celebrate the culture.

Future events planned for Hispanic Heritage Month include the "The Gauntlet, Step Stroll Salute Competition" at 6 p.m. Saturday at the Phillips Center for the Performing Arts and a Comedy Night at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Reitz Union Grand Ballroom.

"Even if you're not ethnic by parent, if a culture interests you, embrace it," English said.

"It's what you want to see at the University of Florida: people having fun and embracing each other's culture."