Monday, April 29, 2024
<p>Florida coach Billy Donovan said sophomore forward Will Yeguete (15) will be key on the boards this season for the Gators, who lost 50.7 percent of their rebounding output from a year ago with the departure of seniors Vernon Macklin, Alex Tyus and Chandler Parsons.</p>

Florida coach Billy Donovan said sophomore forward Will Yeguete (15) will be key on the boards this season for the Gators, who lost 50.7 percent of their rebounding output from a year ago with the departure of seniors Vernon Macklin, Alex Tyus and Chandler Parsons.

At first, it looked to coach Billy Donovan that sophomore Will Yeguete had enjoyed too many pastries this summer while playing abroad for the French national team.

But after the Gators’ opening weekend of practice, Yeguete’s play, not his conditioning, drew his coach’s attention.

“I really thought Casey Prather and Will Yeguete, in terms of understanding what we need from them, [have] been really good,” Donovan said.

Yeguete, a 222-pound forward, was listed with Prather, Scottie Wilbekin and Cody Larson as Donovan’s four key players heading into this year. In order for Florida to be successful, Donovan said it’s a necessity for the group to go after loose balls, defend better and be strong rebounders  — Yeguete’s specialties.

The Gators lost 50.7 percent of their rebounding output from last season following the departures of center Vernon Macklin and forwards Alex Tyus and Chandler Parsons.

“Will continues to be a guy that’s going to have to help us on the backboard, rebounding-wise,” Donovan said. “I said it on the first day: One of my concerns was losing Chandler, Vernon and Alex. We lost a lot of rebounding, and we have to be scrappier on the glass.”

After playing just 7.1 minutes per game with Florida last year, the 6-foot-7 Yeguete enjoyed a standout stint as a starter on France’s U20 team at the FIBA European Championships. In nine games during July, he averaged 6.2 points and hauled in a team-high 5.6 boards.

“Whatever Coach D wants me to do, I will do it,” Yeguete said. “It’s not always going to be the same as it was this summer, but as long as I can help my team and be productive, that’s all that matters.”

Though he played sparingly for the Gators as a freshman, Yeguete was efficient. He snagged a rebound every 2.7 minutes he was on the floor — the best average on the team.

Sophomore Patric Young, a 6-foot-9 center, said Yeguete is also the toughest defender during practice due to his length and physicality. 

“It’s just anger,” Yeguete said.

“Just wanting to get it. You know how you’re going to help your team and you know you’re going to need this possession or need this rebound, so it’s just a mindset that you have to have.”

During Florida’s media day, Donovan made it clear he wasn’t expecting much offensively from Yeguete, who had the second-fewest field goals among the squad’s regulars last season. Instead, Donovan wants him to be opportunistic with his chances. 

Unlike the productivity Florida loses on the glass, the Gators return their top two scorers in guards Kenny Boynton and Erving Walker.

Junior Mike Rosario and freshman Bradley Beal are also lauded for their shooting ability.

“That is enough scoring,” Donovan said.

“We don’t need more scoring. What we need is those guys to also defend and rebound and do the little things. Casey and Will and Scottie and Cody, they can add depth and an element to our team that can be very, very helpful.”

Contact John Boothe at jboothe@alligator.org.