The UF Student Health Care Center announced last week that it would begin accepting a discount prescription card that benefits students who don't have health insurance.

The free card, offered by the CVS Caremark and the National Association of Counties (NACo), offers an average savings of 24 percent off the regular retail price on brand-name and generic drugs, according to a March 9 NACo and CVS Caremark press release.

SHCC spokeswoman Catherine A. Seemann said the center started offering the card because it is trying to implement as many money-saving opportunities for students as possible.

"Anytime we find out about a new program that assists students, generally we try to do our best to help students know about it so they can save money," Seemann said.

The card does not work as insurance. Students with private insurance or student insurance, through the university, are not eligible to use the card at the SHCC Pharmacy.

However, students without insurance can use the card and redeem the discounts as many times as needed.

The card works for all prescription drugs and supplies such as inhalers, antidepressants and birth control.

SHCC Pharmacy manager Laura Tipton said she hoped the new card would help students on tight budgets.

"A lot of them [students] are struggling financially," Tipton said, "and some of them don't get the proper antibiotics they need when they become sick, simply because they can't afford it."

Criminology senior Cory List, 21, likes the idea of the discount card.

"When you're in college, you always look for the best deal," List said.

Students with an Alachua County address can register for the card online and print it out from home.

"It's so easy to get a hold of," said 20-year-old Kimberly Navarrete, an economics junior. "I pay for some of my prescriptions myself, so if I could save a few dollars by printing a card out, I'd do it."

For more information on the free prescription discount card, or to print one out, visit rxprintacard.biz/naco.