<p>Student Body Treasurer T.J. Villamil urged student senators at Tuesday night's meeting to support the movement to renovate and expand the Reitz Union building. The UF Board of Trustees will decide whether to approve the proposal in December.</p>

Student Body Treasurer T.J. Villamil urged student senators at Tuesday night's meeting to support the movement to renovate and expand the Reitz Union building. The UF Board of Trustees will decide whether to approve the proposal in December.

Student Government executives spoke in support of the proposed Reitz Union renovation at Tuesday's Student Senate meeting.

Student Body President Anthony Reynolds said renovating and expanding the building would be "phenomenal," and he asked Treasurer T.J. Villamil to explain the project to the Senate.

UF's Local Fee Committee recommended last Wednesday that the Reitz Union be renovated and expanded. The project would be funded by leftover student-fee money, fees that students already pay and outside funding.

Villamil said the renovation and expansion would not require extra student fees. The committee has recently raised fees by 5 percent yearly, a practice Villamil said will continue.

Villamil said after the meeting that the idea has garnered support from students and student organizations, especially if students don't pay an extra fee.

He said he wanted to fully explain the financing of the project to senators.

J. Wayne Reitz Union Board of Managers Chairman Sean Fahy plans to present the proposal at next week's Senate meeting. Fahy said he will also speak to other student organizations before the UF Board of Trustees votes on the recommendation in December.

Fahy said the expansion would benefit all students and student organizations. The expansion would likely include lounge and study areas, and more space for student organizations.

"This is not something that one party really supports," he said.

District C Senator Carly Wilson said some areas of the Reitz Union need to be changed, but she said the yearly 5 percent fee increase doesn't need to happen. Wilson suggested re-examining the SG budget, where she said funding could be found.