<p>Horticultural science senior Van Tran, 22, serves salad as a volunteer at Krishna Lunch on Plaza of the Americas on Wednesday.</p>

Horticultural science senior Van Tran, 22, serves salad as a volunteer at Krishna Lunch on Plaza of the Americas on Wednesday.

Krishna Lunch might have some competition from a new religious organization that popped up Monday and Tuesday on Plaza of the Americas.

The Vegetarian Theological Society Inc., a nonprofit, promotes spiritual vegetarianism and preaches through the distribution of food for $3 donations, said Nitai Bogle, president of the society.

However, during the two days volunteers were on campus this week, they distributed more free plates than they received donations.

Unlike Krishna Lunch, the society does not support the vegan lifestyle because in the society's philosophical books the human body is meant for consuming animal fat in the form of milk, butter, yogurt and other cow milk products, Bogle wrote in an email.

The group has not settled on a final location or specific serving days, but it plans to continue distributing food.

Bogle said volunteers were welcomed by students and some faculty.

Women's studies sophomore Marla Munro, 19, saw the Vegetarian Theological Society on Monday on Plaza of the Americas. She doesn't think the society will last.

"I do not think any other group could ever compete with Krishna Lunch even if they tried," she said.

The Office of the Vice President for Business Affairs, which gives off-campus vendors permission to serve on campus, got word of the new society on Wednesday.

"Because they are distributing on UF's campus, they have to get permission from the vice president's office, and they have not gotten it," said Cheryl Wise, an administrative assistant in the office.

Krishna House volunteers and staff members can serve Krishna Lunch because they accept a $4 donation for each meal.

The Office of the Vice President for Business Affairs is currently looking into the new society.