In a busy year for the Florida swimming teams, the extra commitment of an Olympic  training regimen will affect no swimmer more than Elizabeth Beisel.

Competing for the Gators in a packed fall schedule has already made things hectic for Beisel, a sophomore, but the rush will only intensify as preparation for Olympic trials begins.

But the Rhode Island native is taking it all in stride. She’s been there before and is ready for the process to begin again.

When she was 15, Beisel competed in the 2008 Beijing Olympics and excelled against the best swimmers in the nation. She finished fourth in the 200-meter individual medley and fifth in the 200 backstroke.

With a likely return to the biggest event in swimming on the horizon, Beisel still has her total focus on her meets at Florida. She says that the two paths don’t have to interfere with each other because they are both designed to do the same thing: make her a better swimmer.

“It is important to perform well at the dual meets because we get a lot of racing experience from them,” Beisel said, “but the ultimate goal is to be the best you can at Olympic trials.”

One would expect a swimmer who has accomplished so much on an international stage to be lukewarm about the college swimming experience, and would instead look towards bigger and better things. Beisel, however, said she appreciates her time at Florida.

Despite her extensive resume, Elizabeth doesn’t feel comfortable being seen as someone  younger swimmers look up to. She would rather just be considered another member of the team.

“I think that’s somewhat strange, because I don’t view myself as someone who should be looked up to,” Beisel said. “We are all equal on this team, and we are only as strong as our weakest link.”

So no matter how busy things may be during the 2011-2012 season, fans can expect the team to remain focused on their goals of Southeastern Conference and NCAA championships.

For Beisel, the Olympics will always be her ultimate goal as a swimmer, but while she’s in Gainesville, she will make the most of her time as a Gator.