Local charities collect donations for holidays

Gainesville's St. Francis House still has Thanksgiving leftovers.

Kent Vann, executive director of the soup kitchen and shelter, said last Thursday's dinner was a success.

About 200 volunteers served about 300 meals Thursday, he said, and the shelter had six turkeys leftover. They will be frozen for Christmas.

The St. Francis House was one of several charities and food banks in the city that collected money and food donations to give the hungry a Thanksgiving dinner.

The Gainesville Catholic Charities food pantry also collected food and money.

The food bank saw results similar to those of the St. Francis House, serving about 325 families throughout the week, said Cathyann Solomon, Catholic Charities' associate director.

Solomon said the food bank served just about all the food it had and didn't have to turn anyone away.

But the outlook was dim for Gainesville's Bread of the Mighty Food Bank.

Director Anne Voyles said the food bank didn't get nearly as many food or monetary donations as in years past, something she said she attributes to the economy.

"People who were helping us last year are now the ones asking for food," she said.

Voyles said she usually sees more food donations around Thanksgiving than any other time of year, but she hopes things will pick up in time for Christmas.

Anyone interested in making holiday donations to Bread of the Mighty can drop off food donations at 325 NW 10th Ave. from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday to Friday.

Donations for the St. Francis House should go to 413 S Main St., and monetary donations should be mailed to P.O. Box 12491 Gainesville, FL 32604.

The Catholic Charities food bank is doing an adopt-a-family charity for Christmas. To participate, call 352-372-0294.