Occupy Gainesville, Occupy UF speak out against Gov. Scott

<p>Joe Richard, 24, speaks to the occupy UF supporters and onlookers in the Plaza of the Americas on Wednesday.</p>

Joe Richard, 24, speaks to the occupy UF supporters and onlookers in the Plaza of the Americas on Wednesday.

Occupy Gainesville and Occupy UF let the opinion of the 99 percent be known together Wednesday.

Gainesville's occupation movements came together for speak-outs on and off campus, marching and a general assembly.

The groups had a speak-out on the Plaza of the Americas with signs and chants such as "We are the 99 percent" and "They got bailed out. We got sold out."

All protesters were a part of a "human microphone." The human microphone started in New York with the Occupy Wall Street demonstration. For amplification, all protesters repeat what the person in the middle is saying for all to hear.

"I occupy because ... this is a group of people who believe what I believe," said Joe Walters, 22, a fifth-year management major and a member of Occupy UF.

Walters said he was dissatisfied with how the heads of corporations were allowed to act, especially with firing procedures and unions.

"How are you going to enjoy a $200 lunch when there is no one to pick the vegetables?" he said.

Walters said the amount of student debt among college students is ridiculous, and even though so many students have debt, they aren't doing anything about it.

Some looked to Tallahassee for answers.

"Rick Scott, you are not a public servant; you are a CEO," said Diana Moreno, a 24-year-old member of Occupy Gainesville, through the human microphone.

"We all know your true intentions are to corporatize our education."

She said an institution like UF was only a dream, and she will not see it slip away because of corporate greed.

"Governor, you are but a criminal and this university will remain public, for the people ... for people trying to better themselves."