Reitz Union parking garage meters to get an upgrade

Visitors are encouraged to bring cash to pay the meters while the parking pay stations inside the Reitz Union parking garage are being replaced.

During the upgrade, which begins Thursday and is expected to take three to four weeks, the four multispace meters inside the garage will not accept credit cards, said Scott Fox, director of Transportation and Parking Services.

Customers paying for parking with credit cards will have to pay at the attendant's booth.

The parking pay stations in the Reitz Union garage are 8 years old and were installed when the Welcome Center was built, he said.

That particular type of machine will not be supported by the vendor, Parkeon, after July 1.

The pay stations are being replaced as a preventative measure, Fox said.

"If we didn't do this, and we waited until July 1 and we had a problem, then [Parkeon] wouldn't come out and fix it," he said.

UF will buy the new pay stations from Parkeon.

No other garages on campus will be affected because the Reitz Union garage is the only one that uses the type of machine being replaced.

Fox said the replacement schedule is tentative, but Transportation and Parking Services is trying to finish the upgrade before the start of spring semester classes.

"We're working on getting it done as quickly as possible," he said.

Advertising junior Aubrey Read, 20, said she parks her car in the Reitz Union garage a few times a month, usually when she's in a hurry.

Paying at the attendant's booth when she forgets to bring cash probably won't help that, she said.

"It's annoying," she said. "I'll probably be late for class."