The case for the can: canning craft beer

There's a new trend shaking up the world of craft brewing.

Serving beer in a can may seem as normal as shotgunning on gameday, but for some craft beer drinkers, it's seen as blasphemes. Craft-beer lovers care about one thing — flavor. In a world inundated with American pilsners, it's tough for them to associate the can with something that encases a quality product.

Like it or not, the trend is quickly gaining popularity from coast to coast — Tampa's Cigar City Brewing just announced it will start can-packaging its top five beers for 2012. Jai Alai IPA, Maduro Brown Ale, Tocobaga Red Ale, Hotter Than Helles Lager and Florida Cracker White Ale will all be available in canned packaging for fans to take along where glass bottles have never gone before.

Yes, the stigma that beer in a can equals bad beer is still there even with big name breweries making the switch, but those brave enough to give it a try are helping to bring beer-lovers over to the aluminum side.

So, what are the benefits of trading in the bottle for a can?

The can packaging eliminates light penetration and exposure to oxygen, both big problems for bottles when it comes to preserving taste.

Cans chill faster than bottles, and you can stack them in the refrigerator.

Cans don't break like glass, which means they're perfect for throwing into a cooler for your next outing.

Cans are easier to recycle and require less packaging.

While bottles are great, the thing that matters most about your beer — the taste — is going to stay the same whether you opt for a long neck or a mini-keg. Today's aluminum cans and tops are lined with a water-based coating, keeping the beer and aluminum separate to avoid any exchange of flavors.

If you're still worried about avoiding any sort of metallic flavor creeping into your next sip, pour your beer out of the can and into a glass, just like you would any respectable brew.

Looking to expand your canned beer choices beyond the mainstream? Pick up one of our choices for some of the best craft beer you can find in a can around Gainesville.

Dale's Pale Ale, Oskar Blues Brewery:

First canned in 2002, this hoppy classic has a flavor that is assertive but balanced.

Bombshell Blonde, Southern Star Brewing Co.:

Creamy, golden ale with a clean finish.

Fat Tire Amber Ale, New Belgium Brewing Co.:

This brew boasts toasty, biscuit-like malt flavors and hints of fruit and spices.

What are your favorite canned beers? Are there any brews you're hoping to see switch to canned packaging? Let me know in the comment section below.

Follow @Beer_4Breakfast on Twitter.

Posts in Beer for Breakfast appear on Thursdays.