Finland, one of the world's most industrialized countries, has another honor to add to the list: excellent education reform.

In the United States, there has been an ongoing debate about our education system. The problem with the U.S. education sector is two-sided.

On one hand, education isn't as accessible as it was in the past. Receiving a master's, a Ph.D., or, in many cases, even an undergraduate degree, comes with loans that may never be paid in a troubled economy.

On the other hand, perhaps the dilemma with our education system transcends financial and governmental issues. The downfall of U.S. education may be the result of a flawed philosophy.

Recent publications show that Finland remains on the top of each list, boasting an unbelievable record of intelligent students. But what is so great about producing smart students? After all, the U.S. is renowned for doing the same.

What is interesting about Finnish students is that their intelligence does not stem from standardized test scores or long, nightmarish study hours. Instead, the Finns have implemented a radically different model of educational reform based on a balanced curriculum.

In fact, the Finnish education system champions teachers' rights and requires rigorous standards for teacher certification, excellent working conditions and respect for the profession similar to the respect given to doctors, lawyers and other highly regarded professionals in the U.S.

However, obtaining a teaching position in Finland is not as easy as it is in the U.S. Becoming a teacher in Finland is highly competitive - only one in 10 applicants are accepted into master's programs. In the U.S., one can become a teacher without even receiving a master's degree.

While becoming a teacher in Finland is a demanding process, the benefits provide important values that are not apparent in the U.S. education system.

In Finland, teachers aren't unfairly pressured to perform their jobs by unwarranted legislation like they are in the U.S.

A prime example is the "No Child Left Behind Act" of 2002, which forced teachers to compress their curricula and teach merely to pass their students. While President Barack Obama has reformed the law, the fact remains that students and grade school teachers alike are hindered by looming standardized tests, which seem to define success in this country. In fact, there is often a fine line between the wealthy minorities who perform excellently on standardized tests and go on to Ivy League schools and the poorest students who perform below average. The lack of proficiency in math and reading due to inadequate teaching conditions or flawed curricula prevents many students from excelling outside of high school. Children are left behind.

In Finland, wealth is not an issue. There are no standardized tests. Perhaps the most interesting element of the Finnish education system is the implementation of business strategy, which utilizes talent from within, and only within, the organization itself. Finland ensures a prominently qualified education system by employing principals and superintendents from within the education sector. Even the teachers in Finland come from the Ministry of Education. This doesn't only happen in select schools. This strategy of cultivating talent from within is pervasive.

Finns will stay committed to their education philosophy and will continue to produce students whose skill sets will surpass those of U.S. students. To be competitive on the international stage and, more importantly, to save our education system, it's time we question our own philosophy.

Akansha Mishra is a pre-law junior at UF. Her column appears on Fridays.