<p>Gators junior forward Jennifer George has recorded eight straight double-doubles, which is five shy of tying the school record.</p>

Gators junior forward Jennifer George has recorded eight straight double-doubles, which is five shy of tying the school record.

Junior forward Jennifer George does not worry about double-doubles.

Her streak of eight consecutive games with double-digit points and rebounds does not cross her mind.

Neither does the school record of 13 straight double-doubles, a mark set by former All-American and current UF assistant coach Murriel Page.

“I just try to be consistent,” George said. “Coach Page and I don’t talk about it that much. We just try to get better every day at practice.”

Even though they do not discuss the streak, Page is well aware of the steps George has taken to reach her current level of play.

The 2010-11 campaign was disappointing not only for Florida, but also for George.

She averaged 6.8 points and 5.6 rebounds per game in a trying season that ended with the Gators failing to reach the NCAA Tournament.

“She knew she could do better,” Page said. “She just took it upon herself this summer to go and get in the gym and work hard every day.”

George’s diligence has paid off so far this season as she leads the Gators with 14 points and 10.1 rebounds per game.

Page credits George’s improvement to her “relentless” work ethic and improved communication with her teammates.

“One thing she didn’t do last year was demand the ball,” Page said. “This year, if the girls miss her, she’ll go up to them and say, ‘I was open. Get me the ball.’”

George’s statistical outburst has been a long time coming according to redshirt senior guard Jordan Jones.

Jones labeled George as a “double-double player” during the preseason, and she said the team has expected George to play like this all along.

“She’s a beast, she’s the strongest player on the team, she’s able to dominate like this, and it’s always been inside of her,” Jones said. “It gives us confidence to put shots up there and know that George — more times than not — if we miss, she’s going to get the rebound and put it in.”

Although George’s double-double streak has continued into Southeastern Conference play, her skills have been somewhat underutilized. In the last five minutes of last Sunday’s loss to South Carolina, George only attempted one shot — a layup off an offensive rebound.

“It’s on us and it’s on her,” Jones said. “We need her to demand the ball more and we need to be more aware that she’s not getting touches and she’s dominating.”

According to Page, George understands that she needs to continue calling for the ball in order to establish an offensive presence in the paint.

However, George prioritizes her role on the team and what she can do to help Florida win games and contend for the SEC Championship.

“She’s not thinking about what she’s doing for herself,” Page said. “She’s just trying to improve every day and get out there and get rebounds and score for her team.”

Page said that during her playing days at Florida, she aimed to leave her mark by adding her name to the record books.

However, she acknowledges that she enjoys watching players like George compete and even best the numbers she put up during her time in Gainesville.

“To hold a double-double (record), that’s something that not too many players do,” Page said.

“That’s (George’s) way of leaving her legacy and also challenging post players that come here after her.”

Contact Joe Morgan at joemorgan@alligator.org.