Paynes Prairie brush fire forces closure of U.S. 441 and I-75, roads diverted

<p>Flares burn on U.S. 441 near Southwest 63rd Avenue as Alachua Country Sheriffs turn away southbound travelers shortly after midnight Sunday. Heavy smoke from a fire on Paynes Prairie combined with heavy fog caused multiple-car wrecks on both U.S. 441 and Interstate 75.</p>

Flares burn on U.S. 441 near Southwest 63rd Avenue as Alachua Country Sheriffs turn away southbound travelers shortly after midnight Sunday. Heavy smoke from a fire on Paynes Prairie combined with heavy fog caused multiple-car wrecks on both U.S. 441 and Interstate 75.

A brush fire on Paynes Prairie forced the closure of two major roads after two multi-car accidents occured in Gainesville early Sunday morning.

According to Alachua County Sheriff's deputies, a combination of heavy smoke and fog limited visibility on both roads.

Traffic on southbound Interstate 75 was blocked at Southeast Williston Road, with drivers being directed to go south on Williston Road to reenter the interstate in Ocala.

On U.S. 441, southbound traffic was diverted to U.S. 301.

Deputies said on I-75 south of Williston Road, a semi-trailer crashed into the back of an SUV, and then a third car, driven by a man, crashed into the back of the trailer. The man in the third car was cut out of it by emergency workers.

On U.S. 441, more than five vehicles were involved in one accident, deputies said.

The conditions of those injured were not available as of early Sunday morning.

Deputies at the scene said the roads will be closed for the rest of the night due to poor visibility.

This is a developing story. Check back for updates.