When the Gators needed points, Lanita Bartley called for the ball.

Bartley made four free throws in the final 7.8 seconds of Florida’s upset against No. 18 Georgia in the O’Connell Center on Sunday.

“I just make sure I get open because coach (Amanda Butler) always tells me I need to get the ball,” Bartley said. “I was hitting free throws, so I just demanded the ball.”

The senior guard scored 11 points against Georgia; nine came from free throws, punctuating her current tear at the foul line.

Since a disappointing 4-of-8 showing from the charity stripe in a 73-72 double-overtime loss to Arkansas on Jan. 29, Bartley has been nearly automatic on foul shots.

She has made 22 of her last 24 attempts, fueled by a streak of 13 consecutive made free throws that ended in the first half on Sunday.

Bartley started a new streak shortly after, which currently sits at eight straight.

Perhaps most impressive has been her late-game poise at the line.

Bartley is 6 of 6 on free throws in the last 10 seconds of the Gators’ last two games.

“The inconsistency at the free-throw line has made some of those moments (in close games) difficult to coach,” Butler said. “’Nita certainly has emerged as a great candidate for those moments.”

While Bartley has done significant damage at the line, she would not have so many attempts if not for her style of play.

Bartley is a slasher who likes to drive the lane, a mentality that has her ranked second for Florida with 5.2 rebounds per game and 93 free-throw attempts.

“(She’s) really capitalizing on some of these moments where maybe she can impact the game in a way that maybe some of her other teammates can’t,” Butler said.

Nearly a month ago, Butler challenged Bartley and the seniors to “take control” of the season.

Butler credits the Gators’ 4-2 record in their last six games to improved consistency from not just Bartley but the entire senior class.

Bartley has spearheaded the veteran surge by averaging 13.4 points in her last seven contests, but she has not been the lone senior to step up.

Deana Allen has put up 9.5 points per game in February, and Jordan Jones looks to be regaining her shooting touch after scoring nine against the Bulldogs.

Senior production has also increased in the frontcourt with Azania Stewart shooting 54.5 percent in February and Ndidi Madu averaging 8.3 points in her last four road games, taking some pressure off leading scorer Jennifer George.

Florida has struggled in close games this season, posting a 3-9 record in games decided by six points or fewer, but the 61-57 upset of Georgia combined with the senior class’ improvement may serve as a much-needed turning point.

“Coach Butler gave us the challenge,” Jones said. “Some people fold and some rise above [tough times] and bounce back to show what they’re made of in the next game.”

Contact Joe Morgan at joemorgan@alligator.org.