Fontana adjusting to life without Adams at second base

<p>Florida junior shortstop Nolan Fontana said he is working to be a mentor for younger players like freshman Casey Turgeon as the Gators search for a new second baseman.&nbsp;</p>

Florida junior shortstop Nolan Fontana said he is working to be a mentor for younger players like freshman Casey Turgeon as the Gators search for a new second baseman. 

Nolan Fontana remembers being a freshman and searching for advice. 

Starting at shortstop in his first year, the highly touted recruit from Winter Garden didn't have to look far for answers. 

Positioned next to him was second baseman Josh Adams, who gave Fontana what he called his most useful piece of knowledge.

"Slow the game down," Adams would tell Fontana. "From high school to college baseball, it's just a lot faster. If you let yourself get overwhelmed by it then it can hurt you."

The advice panned out. Fontana went on to be named to the Southeastern Conference All-Defensive Team his first two years at UF. 

But now entering his junior season, Fontana finds himself without Adams for the first time as a Gator. 

While Adams prepares for minor league spring training for the Miami Marlins, Fontana will be adjusting to life with some fresh faces. 

Now on his left could be freshman Casey Turgeon, a 22nd-round pick in the 2011 Major League Baseball first-year draft, who UF coach Kevin O'Sullivan said is finally 100 percent after a scooter accident took him out of fall scrimmages. He will be battling with junior Cody Dent for playing time at second.

"Whoever we play there has got some shoes to fill," O'Sullivan said.

Although he tries to not put too much early pressure on the freshman, O'Sullivan is confident in what he has seen from Turgeon. 

Junior pitcher Hudson Randall said "there has been talk" about Turgeon getting the nod at second base. 

"He's a gamer, simple as that," O'Sullivan said of the freshman. "I don't want to put too much on his plate. I'm just a big Casey Turgeon fan, and I think he's going to make an impact from day one."

Fontana knows there will be plenty of work to do when the Gators begin their season on Feb. 17 against Cal State Fullerton. 

As fluid as his chemistry became with Adams, it only got that way through game action and repeated reps. 

"Whoever ends up being over there, that's what will happen," Fontana said. 

As the infielders adjust to one another, it will be Fontana's job to be a leader and guide his neighbors the same way he watched Adams do for two years. 

"Josh put me under his wing when I got here," Fontana said. 

"That's what I'm doing now with a couple guys. They're all working real hard. It's going to be hard to fill Josh's shoes. He was a great ballplayer here, but I'm sure there are plenty of guys on this team that can do that."

For Florida, the questions will continue until the middle of the infield looks settled. Adams was Florida's all-time leader in games played, and the experience of 253 trots out to second base is not easily replaced.