Man charged in connection with series of bicycle thefts

A Gainesville man was arrested Thursday in connection with multiple bike thefts at UF and off-campus apartments.

Robert Kenneth Barton, 18, was taken into custody Thursday night by Gainesville Police, according to GPD Detective Tom Mullins.

Barton was stealing bikes and trying to sell them to local pawn and sport shops, Mullins said.

He added that the arrest was made with help from University Police Department detective Hank Middleton and officer Ellen Duffy.

During an interrogation, Barton said he stole as many as 10 bikes from UF and popular student apartments, Mullins said.

Barton was charged with organized stolen property dealing, unarmed burglary of an unoccupied dwelling, fraud and petit theft.

Mullins said one of the bikes was returned because it had been registered with UPD.

"We were able to compare the serial numbers," he said. "It's a really good tool for students with bikes on campus."

Students are encouraged to register their bikes and report stolen ones to UPD.

Decals are available to those who register their bikes, which Mullins said can help deter burglaries and help UPD find bikes faster.