Beer Chat: getting the most out of the Greater Gator Beer Festival

<p>The Greater Gator Beer Festival is taking over Magnolia Park on Saturday and will bring an expected crowd of more than 1,000 brewers and beer enthusiasts together to celebrate great beer.</p>

The Greater Gator Beer Festival is taking over Magnolia Park on Saturday and will bring an expected crowd of more than 1,000 brewers and beer enthusiasts together to celebrate great beer.

A successful beer festival experience comes down to two things: sampling plenty of great-tasting beer and being able to remember it the next day. Here are some tips to make sure you get the most beer for your buck.

Buy a ticket in advance.

Not only are prices usually much lower than what you’ll pay at the gate, but you’re also spared the disappointment of arriving to the event and finding it sold out. Bummer.

Eat and hydrate before you go.

Getting sick or becoming belligerent at a public event is not fun for anyone. Eat a good lunch, and don’t turn down the free food and water available at the festival. Besides helping to keep you levelheaded through the afternoon, water between samples will also help cleanse your palate.

Bring along a pen and paper.

A small notepad or pack of sticky notes is great for jotting down the names of beers that you wouldn’t mind picking up a pack of the next time you’re at the store. Don’t think you’re being a beer geek — with hundreds of beers available to taste and a somewhat foggy memory after your 30th sample, it can be easy to confuse names.

Bring cash.

No one likes standing in the ATM line.

Grab a program.

Decide on a plan of action and which breweries are a must-try before you leave. Are you trying beers in order of style? Flavor? Region? Figure this out early, and you’ll be spared from missing out on some of the best brews.

Pace yourself.

The point of a festival is to try different beers, not to drink until you black out and start hitting on the servers. There are usually hundreds of beers to sample and several hours to try them in; this is neither a race nor an attempt to try every beer available. Take your time, and don’t overdo it.

If you don’t want to drink something, don’t.

If you don’t like what you’re sipping on, pour it out. Life is too short and the beer list too long to waste time on something you don’t like.

Know where the bathrooms are.

Let’s be real, you’ll definitely be visiting them a few times through the afternoon. Make it easy on yourself by locating them before you start drinking so you can stop by while making your way through the booths.

Know how you’re getting home.

You’ve sampled dozens of beer, stocked up on new koozies and are ready to call it a day. Wait. Who’s driving? Don’t wait until the last call to figure out how to get home. Have a friend agree to pick you up or reserve a taxi.

--------

Want to try out your beer festival strategy? The Greater Gator Beer Festival is taking over Magnolia Park on Saturday from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. and will bring an expected crowd of more than 1,000 brewers and beer enthusiasts together to celebrate great beer. Advance tickets are selling for $25 at Calico Jack's, Beef ‘O’ Brady’s, Gator Beverage, Gator’s Dockside, Stubbies & Steins, Mother’s Pub and Grill and the Magnolia Parke Tavern. General admission tickets are also available for $30 online, and VIP tickets are $50.

A Gainesville tradition since 1997, the festival will feature American craft breweries like New Orleans' Abita Beer, Jacksonville’s Bold City and Pennsylvania’s Victory Brewing, as well as international beers like Leffe and Hoegaarden. Unlimited food samples will be provided from local restaurants like Willy’s Mexicana Grill, EndZone Bar and Grill, Domino’s Pizza and BubbaQue’s BBQ & Burgers. Soda and bottled water are also included with the price of admission.

For more information, visit floridabeerfestivals.com

Will you be checking out the festival this weekend? Let me know in the comment section below or tweet me @beer_4breakfast.

Posts in Beer For Breakfast appear on Fridays.