The Gators’ postseason forecast remains unclear, so they’re not planning too far ahead.

With the Southeastern Conference Tournament kicking off today, Florida has been preparing and focusing solely on its first-round opponent: Auburn.

Forget the NCAA Tournament. Forget a potential second-round matchup against SEC Champion No. 10 Kentucky.

Even after defeating the Tigers 70-56 on Feb. 9, the Gators remain centered on today’s game at 1 p.m. in Nashville, Tenn., because history requires them to do so.

Florida is 1-7 against Auburn in postseason play, including a 52-47 loss in the 1997 SEC Tournament Final. UF has reached the championship game just one other time.

The Gators have not defeated the Tigers in the SEC Tournament since 1994, when UF coach Amanda Butler was wearing a Florida uniform and playing the point.

“The only thing that, right now, we’re talking about is Auburn,” Butler said. “There’s not any reason to talk about a (postseason) run because we’ve got to play one game and we’ve got to beat Auburn.”

The Gators have simplified their immediate goal to getting past the Tigers, but it’s hard to ignore what would come next should UF win today. If Florida defeats Auburn, Kentucky will be waiting in the second round.

The Gators have played the Wildcats twice this season, losing both games by a combined eight points. And even redshirt senior guard Jordan Jones’ eyes have wandered to the next section of the bracket.

“Obviously, both close losses … two games that we really looked back on and thought we could’ve had,” Jones said. “With those close games, it’s confidence. We were right there with the No. 1 team in our conference.”

Florida’s losses to Kentucky accounted for two of the team’s 12 games decided by six points or fewer this season.

UF is just 3-9 in those contests, snapping a four-game slide when it topped No. 16 Georgia 61-57 on Feb. 19 in the O’Connell Center. However, Florida’s struggles in close games have not dashed its NCAA Tournament hopes.

The Gators currently rank 37th in RPI and 11th in strength of schedule.

ESPN’s Charlie Creme has UF projected as a No. 10 seed in the NCAA Tournament in his latest Bracketology, but he lists Florida as a team trending downward.

In order to reverse their fortunes and clinch an NCAA Tournament berth for the first time since the 2008-09 campaign, the Gators will need to do some damage this weekend.

However, Florida does not have a history of making waves in the SEC Tournament under Butler, posting just a 2-4 record and never advancing past the quarterfinals in four years.

“The past success or the past lack of success or failures, those don’t have anything to do with what’s going to happen next,” Butler said. “We all can determine our own fates at this point and that’s what we’ve got to be focused on is the present moment.”

Right now, the Gators are preparing to face the Tigers.

Florida will ready for its next challenge “when it’s appropriate,” Butler said.

“We’re not scared of anyone or backing down from anyone,” Jones said. “It’s Auburn first, and then whoever waits, we’re ready for them.”

Contact Joe Morgan at joemorgan@alligator.org.