Often, the controversy that surrounds Student Government overshadows the good things that get done. While the furor accompanying the recent election season raged on, a group of activists and student senators quietly worked on a resolution that is set to have a positive impact on The Gator Nation.

The resolution urges the City of Gainesville to comply with the demands of local bus drivers represented by the Amalgamated Transit Union 1579 in their ongoing contract negotiations. Our bus drivers are facing stagnant wages, cuts to their pensions and unfair grievance procedures. Perhaps the most egregious encroachment upon their rights is the practice of forced overtime. The city refuses to hire more workers, forcing our bus drivers into a situation where they need to drive extra routes to keep their jobs, even if they are exhausted. Forcing drivers to work while they are tired is not only a labor rights issue, but a safety issue for everyone on campus.

On Tuesday night, when student senators voted unanimously in favor of this resolution, they took a massive step toward solving this problem. This statement of support for the bus drivers adds to the mounting public pressure on the city to do the right thing and accept the bus drivers’ demands. Local labor unions have already issued statements of solidarity with the Amalgamated Transit Union, while community organizers with Fight Back Florida have been lobbying city commissioners. On campus, Students for a Democratic Society has collected thousands of signatures and banked hundreds of phone calls from outraged students. With an official mandate from the Student Body, there is perhaps only one person left on campus to convince: President Machen.

Make no mistake, a statement of support from our administration would almost certainly guarantee that the bus drivers came out of their negotiations with a fair contract. UF has tremendous influence over the RTS situation. Students comprise 75 percent of the riders, and we pay 51 percent of the transportation costs. With enough pressure from UF, the city will be left with no choice but to offer our bus drivers a contract addressing their grievances. Students have been doing their part, but we need our administration to stand with us.

This is why SDS was disappointed when, after presenting thousands of signatures and making hundreds of calls, Machen declined to support bus drivers and their requests for a safer and efficient transport system. As the head of The Gator Nation, President Machen has an obligation to protect the well-being of our bus drivers and the safety of our students. We are asking him to reconsider his stance on this and issue a strong support statement for our local bus drivers. At the very least, President Machen should sit down with drivers and students to hear their concerns.

Students  interested in getting involved with the campaign should come to an SDS meeting at 6:30 p.m. on Mondays in Anderson Hall, Room 32.

Conor Munro is a history and economics sophomore at UF. His is the lead organizer for Students for a Democratic Society.