Review: Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum spectacular in “21 Jump Street”

<p>"21 Jump Street" hardly qualifies as a remake because of its comedic spin, but it has the potential to be one of the funniest films of the year.</p>

"21 Jump Street" hardly qualifies as a remake because of its comedic spin, but it has the potential to be one of the funniest films of the year.

The movie creating the most box-office buzz this past weekend was the film remake of the 1980s TV crime drama, “21 Jump Street.” 

It hardly qualifies as a remake because of the comedic spin that was put on the film, but it has the potential to be one of the funniest films of the year.

Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum star as a duo of half-witted police officers that go undercover in a high school to bust a drug ring. The premise might be the same, but this turned out to be a very loose interpretation of the original.

Thankfully, that is not disappointing in the least.

Hill and Tatum have wonderful chemistry, producing consistently hilarious scenes from start to finish. Tatum was able to successfully hold his own alongside Hill, who has far more experience in the area of comedic acting.

The script, co-written by Hill, was composed of just the right amount of clever humor and dialogue. The story and characters were silly, raunchy and pleasantly immature. If anything, this film was a spoof of the original series, but that is what made it so hilarious. I was genuinely amused by everything that happened, giving into every ridiculous detail.

The movie did get a bit graphic at the end, but I was already so drawn into the action and in love with every character that I simply laughed harder. The entire film builds up to be more and more hilarious as the story progresses. It hits all the right marks and is spot on in every way. If you enjoy a great comedy film, then “21 Jump Street” is for you.

Posts in Swamp Cinema appear on Tuesdays. Follow @SwampCinema on Twitter.