About 1,300 people fill the Phillips Center for Easter celebration

<p>Rashid Latson, 6, Jalaya Husain, 4, Catrel Husain, 3, and Tyrin Williams, 7, make "stained glass" crosses out of foam and tissue paper at one of the activity tables for the Spirit of Faith Christian Center's children’s Easter service at the Phillips Center for the Performing Arts on Sunday.</p>

Rashid Latson, 6, Jalaya Husain, 4, Catrel Husain, 3, and Tyrin Williams, 7, make "stained glass" crosses out of foam and tissue paper at one of the activity tables for the Spirit of Faith Christian Center's children’s Easter service at the Phillips Center for the Performing Arts on Sunday.

When saxophonist Merlon Divine busted out his jams on stage, people shouted “Play it, son!” and “I love this song!” from the congregation.

About 1,300 adults and 145 children filled the Phillips Center for the Performing Arts on Sunday to celebrate Easter and the fifth anniversary of the Spirit of Faith Christian Center.

The service had traditional aspects such as as sermon, but it also had a skit, a children’s dance routine and a saxophone solo.

People clapped, danced and cheered during the service, an aspect that some churchgoers said made the service come alive.

Minister Kirstin Adams, 31, said church services are usually lively, but especially so on Easter.

“The horns, bongos and bass guitar are normal,” she said. “This happens every Sunday.”

Children played musical chairs inside and jumped in a bounce house outside.

Kiana Adams, 9, said she likes lessons and the fun that come with Sunday services. Sometimes, she said, she even gets to dance on stage.

“You get to have fun, and you never know what you’re going to learn,” Kiana said.

Pastor Ken Claytor agreed that the center tries to surprise its congregation. He said Spirit of Faith tries to be modern and to break away from tradition.

Growing from 15 members to about 2,000 in five years, the center gains about 80 new members a month, Adams said.

With newcomers and regular members alike giving hugs, handshakes and smiles, Nicole Auxter, 40, said the loving family atmosphere makes her proud to be a part of it.

“It’s exciting, and we’re moving forward into the future being here,” she said.