Johnson continues hot streak, drives in five in midweek win

<p><span>Florida junior Brian Johnson hits a three-run home run during the first inning of Tuesday’s win against Georgia Southern. Johnson tied a career high with five RBI in the win.</span></p>

Florida junior Brian Johnson hits a three-run home run during the first inning of Tuesday’s win against Georgia Southern. Johnson tied a career high with five RBI in the win.

After carrying Florida to a series win at Tennessee during the weekend, Brian Johnson took a curtain call Tuesday night. 

Stepping in with two outs in the first inning, Johnson launched a three-run homer off the right-field video board and went on to tie a career mark with five RBI. In his last four games, he is now 8 for 16 with 11 RBI and two home runs. 

“I just feel a lot more comfortable,” Johnson said. “Early in the season I was probably just fouling that (home-run pitch) off and digging myself in a hole. Now I’m making contact with that pitch.”

Propelled by Johnson and a lineup that saw eight of its nine starters get a hit, No. 5 Florida (29-8) took a routine 8-2 victory against Georgia Southern (22-17) on Tuesday night. 

For the second time in as many games, the Gators jumped out to an early lead courtesy of Johnson. 

His first-inning homer came two days after a bases-clearing double in Knoxville, Tenn. Unlike Sunday, he was not on the mound to reap the immediate benefits of the lead. 

Senior right-hander Greg Larson got his second start of the season and his fourth win. 

He was told before the game by UF coach Kevin O’Sullivan that he would work three innings, and he did just that. Larson allowed four hits and one earned run and left after 39 pitches. 

“I kept the ball down and all my pitches were working,” Larson said. “That’s all I wanted to do: just go three strong innings.”

After Larson’s departure, the Gators continued to tack on runs — something they struggled with against the Volunteers. Florida notched at least one run every inning from the fifth through the eighth, highlighted by a two-run Johnson double in the seventh. 

Freshman Justin Shafer singled in fellow freshman Taylor Gushue in the eighth. The Gators’ other two runs came when Nolan Fontana scored on a passed ball in the fifth and a wild pitch plated Casey Turgeon in the sixth. 

Florida scored all of its runs with two outs and only struck out twice.

“Obviously we’ve got a long way to go with the season only being half over, but I am pleased with how we played,” O’Sullivan said. “Really pleased.”

Sophomore right-hander Karsten Whitson made his first career relief appearance with Florida leading 7-1 in the eighth inning. O’Sullivan talked with Whitson earlier in the day and said, “He just quite hasn’t been himself.” 

Whitson was in command during one inning of work and needed only eight pitches to get the ball to Austin Maddox for the ninth. 

“He needed that,” Johnson said. “He got some confidence there and that’s all he needed.”

Maddox gave up a leadoff hit that turned into the Eagles’ second run of the night before ending the game in a seven-pitch ninth. 

The revenge factor might not have been in full effect, but O’Sullivan made sure his players remembered what happened the last time Georgia Southern was in Gainesville. 

The Eagles beat the Gators 7-0 on March 8 last season.

“The coaches put the box score up from last year in the locker room as a little bit of motivation,” Larson said. “We’ve moved on.” 

ETC: Florida did not walk a batter Tuesday for the seventh time this season. ... Johnson extended his hitting streak to six games and matched his career high in home runs (5). 

Florida coach Kevin O’Sullivan approaches the mound for a meeting with catcher Mike Zunino (3) and pitcher Daniel Gibson.