As the end of the semester draws near and everyone is making summer plans, we wanted to throw something out there for those who will be sticking around in Gainesville for the next few months.

During the summer semester, although many will be leaving because of graduation, internships or the need to return to the nest for the comfort of family and friends back home, the Alligator will still be here.

For those who don’t know, the Alligator publishes two days a week — Tuesdays and Thursdays — during the summer.

This means we need students to help us fill up our opinions pages with well-thought-out analyses and commentary about current events.

Or they can write about how their life is like a trip to Taco Bell.

We’re looking for strong writers who want to share their views on issues, whether they be on a campus-wide, local, state or national level.

Because we only publish two days a week this summer, we only have four weekly columnist spots to fill.

If you’re interested in becoming a weekly columnist, you will need to submit a resume, a brief cover letter explaining why you think you’re a good fit for our opinions pages and a short explanation of your political persuasion, i.e. conservative, liberal, libertarian, socialist, etc.

If you have been published before or keep a blog, please send us three examples of your finest work.

If you have not been published before, you can send us two writing samples about different topics. These samples should be between 500 and 600 words.

Columns should take a stand, be clear and be about things that students at UF might care about.

If you apply and do not make the cut for the summer, we still strongly encourage you to submit material. We will be accepting guest columns and letters to the editor throughout the summer.

The more we are familiar with your work, the more likely we are to consider you for a weekly columnist position in the future.

Guest columns should be between 500 and 600 words and need to include your name, year, major and the school you attend.

Feel free to write response columns to our weekly columnists or come up with your own topic.

Letters should be between 150 and 200 words and need to include your name and any other relevant information, i.e. major, organizations you belong to, etc.

All materials for columnist applications should be sent as an attachment to opinions@alligator.org.

Please submit all applications by April 28.

Future guest columns and letters should also be sent to the same address.

We look forward to hearing from you.