New Year, New Leaf: Try new things in college

Welcome home, Gators.

Most of you are returning, and we’re glad to have you back.

But about 6,500 of you are brand-new freshmen, and it’s probably your first time away from home.

The freedom of your first semester of college can be overwhelming. No one is telling you where to be or what to do. There are no curfews, no dress codes, no detention or hall passes.

For some, this will translate to many nights spent wandering Midtown and a lot of missed morning lectures.

Enjoy it. Turlington Hall isn’t the only place where you can get an education. And don’t let your professors scare you — getting a B in your 1000-level psychology class isn’t going to sink your GPA. There are more important lessons to learn here.

Everyone will tell you that college is what you make of it, and that’s true.

During your time at UF, you might find your life’s calling in medicine, politics or activism. Or you might end up with a dual degree in botany and Russian, because those were the only classes you liked.

You might even decide that UF isn’t for you — and that’s OK, too.

Either way, don’t be afraid to chase your passions. There’s no magical combination of classes that will result in a guaranteed job offer upon graduation, so you might as well do some exploring along the way.

UF offers more than 100 majors, and there are close to a 1,000 student organizations, most of which meet on campus.

Now is the time to take yourself out of your comfort zone and try something new.

If you get invited to an ultimate Frisbee tournament, a hula-hoop jam, a vegan Thanksgiving feast, underwater hockey practice or a Hare Krishna drum circle, go. Say yes to any new experience you can, within reason. (If someone invites you to a Juggalo festival in rural North Central Florida, it’s OK to politely decline, and then unfriend him or her on Facebook.)

The goal is to be able to say, at the end of your first year of college, that you did something, saw something or learned something interesting outside of a classroom.

Of course, don’t forget to hit the books now and then — failing that 1000-level psychology class will definitely sink your GPA.

And don’t worry if college isn’t all it’s cracked up to be at first. In the next few weeks, you’ll probably get sick, have a fight with your roommate and fail an exam. You’ll also probably go to a couple parties, be genuinely interested in at least one of your classes and see the Gators win a football game.

It’s all part of the experience, and it’s all necessary. You’ll get into the swing of things soon.

Just don’t forget to call home on the weekends. Your mom misses you.